2015 Class Schedule TBA - Coming Soon!
The Institute offers two academic degrees for sexological professionals who choose teaching or research as their main focus. Only persons who have completed one of the Institute’s professional degrees or completed three professional certificates will be advanced into the academic degree candidacy.
Doctor of Education
The Doctor of Education offers a broad background in the field of human sexuality for those who wish to become educators and/or generalists in the field. The Ed.D. has particular relevance for those who may teach courses, design educational training programs for special populations, or utilize writing, filmmaking or other communication media as their form of service in human sexuality. It is a degree requiring both academic and professional skills.
The requirements are:
1. Acceptance by the Admissions Committee after evidence is shown that the student is capable of mature scholarship and creativity.
2. Completion of five trimesters of acceptable graduate study (60 units) plus one trimester for the preparation of a doctoral project. A maximum of one trimester credit may be given for previous graduate work.
3. Completion of a Basic Research Project.
4. Admission into degree candidacy after passing the written Comprehensive Examination.
Doctor of Philosophy
This degree follows the tradition of stressing new knowledge and scientific inquiry.
The Doctor of Philosophy degree will be awarded to students who meet the following requirements:
1. Acceptance by the Admissions Committee after evidence is shown that the student is capable of originality of thought and excellence of scholarship.
2. Demonstrate proficiency in research methodology.
3. Completion of five trimesters of acceptable graduate study (60 units) plus one trimester for preparation of the dissertation. A maximum of one trimester credit may be given for previous graduate work.
4. Completion of a Basic Research Project.
5. Admission into degree candidacy after passing the written Comprehensive Examination covering the entire field of sexology.
6. Presentation of a dissertation demonstrating analytical treatment and the original and independent investigation of a subject in the field of sexology.